Sunday, December 20, 2009

A challenge to myself

 


  It amazes me that the people that seem the happiest aren't those who have the most money, things, or have everything going right in their lives, but it's the people who have decided to put on their rose colored shades in life. It's really just a matter of perspective.

  The truth is the economy SUCKS, this season has been hell and the worst part is that it doesn't seem to be over.  But everywhere that I turn these past few months it seems like I keep having this subject of thankfulness, blessing, and praise thrown in my face. I was listening to a message the other night and the guy said, 'God is not most moved by need, if He were India would be one of the wealthiest nations in the world.'  Sometimes I think to myself, 'surely God must see how bad things are and feel bad for me' but I forget He's waiting to see how I respond to how bad things are. There are so many people I see that don't have much but they are so grateful, always talking about how good God has been to them. I was even thinking about a family I know of (the Hingers for those that know them) whose home caught fire recently. They were able to stop it before it got too serious, but it still burned through their roof. The first thing I read about it they were thanking God for His faithfulness....it didn't burn their whole home, they weren't injured, etc...but honestly if it were me, in the midst of this season I can't say I'd react the same. I'd probably be like what the heck?!?! Why couldn't God keep our house from catching fire in the first place, and right before Christmas?? Anyways you catch my drift.

  Here's what I'm getting at it seems that God blesses a thankful heart more than a grumbling one. And a thankful heart seems more willing to give, happier, and more content with life. Right now I've got alot of things to feel sorry for myself about, but then again when I decide to change my perspective and my expectations, I can see that I'm really blessed. So I'm going to make the effort to change the way I look at things and try to find a way to be thankful for everyday and the things affecting me each day.  Cause I keep forgetting that when God took the Israelites out of Egypt they didn't walk straight into the promised land. There was a journey to get there, and even when they got there (finally! because all their grumbling held them up quite a few years) there were still battles to fight to claim the land, things weren't perfect, but God had told them the land was theirs so they knew going into the battles that they already had the victory. I've got to stop thinking that things will one day be perfect, that things won't take work, that there will be a day with no troubles or battles, but that I'm blessed because when God sends me somewhere He's there with me, that my battles are not going to get the better of me. I have promises! Timing is another issue, for another day ;-)

Here are a couple verses about being told to be thankful:

Colossians 2:7
  1. rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

  2. Colossians 3:15
    Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
  3.  Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

  4. Hebrews 12:28
    Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe,

    So today I am thankful because I really had a desire to be able to buy gifts for my family last year but we couldn't afford anything, but this year God has blessed us with work so that I've been able to buy everyone a little something. It feels really good to be able to give. For so many years growing up I got so used to receiving, but since being married to Erik I have learned more about the joy of giving in a year than I've learned in a lifetime.  He  has taught me so much about being smart with money and still having a heart to give.  I love that when we don't have money to buy things for others we have our time to give, I'm so thankful that he's broken me out of some really childish and selfish mindsets. I'm thankful for such a wonderful husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment